Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fireflies

I couldn't help myself. I had to do a critique of the music video of my current favorite song. Fireflies by Owl City.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr9EKJatJvA

Just so everyone knows: I've been an Owl City fan since late 2007, so everybody nowadays who is all like "OMG I HEART OWL CITY ROFL" are total posers. Owl City was mine first.
With that out of the way, let me just say that the new album blows the old ones out of the water.  Fireflies is my favorite song on the album, and its music video is pretty awesome, too. 
The "retro" kids toys are great: they give it a whimsical feel that compliments the song itself perfectly. 
I am not sure if the piano he is using is a genuine "electric piano" or not, but I am inclined to believe that it is one of the old-model electronic keyboards.  These don't actually make the sound that you hear in the song, but... whatever.  It detracts nothing and adds a lot to the whole mood.
My favorite part of the song is when he turns on the button labeled "magic."  I don't know if there really is an effect labeled "magic" on the keyboard (I wouldn't put it past them.  I once had a stove flash "help" at me when its internal clock needed to be reset) but the effect on the video is definitely "fun."
"Fun" describes this whole video, and I think that is why I like it.

1 comment:

  1. tis quite a good video. Owl City is a great musician and also puts on a great live show!

    ReplyDelete