Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Build-A-Couch Couch

It's time for the very last edition of couch critiquing.  If you're not caught up start with the couch intro here and work your way forward.

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2008/03/31/misfits_58.jpg
I don't know what to think of this couch.  Apparently the couch-user is supposed to reorganize the couch each day depending on mood, weather, or whim.  This is the ultimate sectional.  What a cool idea!
Apart from the obvious fun nature of this couch, is it practical in the slightest? My answer: No, the couch is not practical.
  • I probably would have other furniture in the room which would also have to be rearranged every time you rearrange the couch.  What a bother.  This will get old really fast.
  • The couch looks heavy. What a bother. This will get old really fast.
  • The couch only appeals to my silly mood. I will not want to sit on this couch while watching a movie. I will not want to sit on this couch while socializing. I will not want to sit on this couch anytime I happen to be acting like an adult.
This is a big problem. What is the moral here? Just because it seems like a novel idea does not mean it is any better than what we already have. Why not just pick a regular three piece sectional in cobalt blue (and even pick the fabric), have the freedom to switch up the room arrangements, and keep a full(er) wallet?
Despite the impracticality, I cannot deny that this couch is art. But maybe art should stay art, and stay out of my living room.

1 comment: