Thursday, December 17, 2009

Avante Garde

My girlfriend recently introduced me to a style called Avant Garde. I wasn't sure exactly what that phrase meant, so I asked the dictionary. Dictionary.com defines it as "the advance group in any field, esp. in the visual, literary, or musical arts, whose works are characterized chiefly by unorthodox and experimental methods."
I came away from this thinking that Avant Garde just means "amateurish-on-purpose."
Many Google-images later, and much the wiser, I have not become convinced that Avant Garde is an "art form" (complete with quotes).
My definition was wrong only in that it was too kind.
Now I know, with proof, that Avant Garde means "weird and ugly on purpose."
And so I give to you, the blog-follower, the following posts all about Avant Garde hairstyles as examples of the movement as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment