Monday, October 12, 2009

Shoes. Weird Ones. (An Introduction)

Girls' obsession with designer shoes intrigues me.  I can understand spending long stretches of time shopping for something (I've been known to research paintball guns for hours at a time).  I can also understand (albeit in a less-personal way) spending extravagant amounts of money for something that's usefulness is LESS than the "common" item it is to replace (nobody can argue that designer heels are more functional than tennis-shoes or even flats).

What intrigues me is how they can consistently generate an opinion of these shoes when they all look the same.

Because this blog is to be an exploratory exercise, I decided to expand my horizons.  I rolled up my sleeves and started researching designer shoes.  Specifically heels.  I would become the shoe connoisseur.  I would add "shoe design appreciation" to my ever-increasing list of skills.

I asked my best source of girly information: my girlfriend.  She, however, has much more sense than most girls, and thinks designer shoes are silly.  She was no help.
Not to be deterred, I asked my second-best source: my mother.  Mom had no idea (she is a lot like Nadia in the "designer shoes" department) but after some googling, she sent me to Forzieri.com to look for shoes.  I clicked a random shoe designer ("Casadei") and critiqued several of their designs.

It was harder than I thought it would be, but I persevered, and now I feel as though I have more of an appreciation for high-heeled shoes (both designer and... well... not designer), though my female friends may not agree.  We will see.

The result is in the following blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment